As part of my new web series, The Role Model In You, here is my most recent interview. The Role Model In You series discusses how individuals were influenced as a child to lead a healthy lifestyle. It discusses who influenced these people, the changes they made in life to be healthy, and the message they would like to pass along to the youth of today. I hope you enjoy it!
1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Diane Radford MD, FACS, FRCSEd, Breast surgical oncologist, Mercy Clinic St. Louis Cancer & Breast Institute, aged 54. I am a surgeon specializing in the care of patients with breast cancer and benign breast diseases. I am also a writer and blogger.
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
Margery Radford, my mother, was my inspiration as a child.
3. What did they do to inspire you?
She led by example. She did not always lead a healthy lifestyle, but succeeded in changing her habits. At one time she was a smoker, and succeeded in quitting. She told me she quit “Because my doctor told me my legs would fall off.” As a younger woman she lost 30lbs by eating a healthy, balanced diet. Her daily routine included a long walk on the beach. She was also committed to exercising her brain with lifelong learning.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
I saw how committed she was to a healthy diet and daily exercise (not only did she walk, but she took up Keep Fit in her 70s). She was passionate about many things, including her many varied interests. That approach must have served her well, she lived to be 91.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
I stress the importance of exercise, avoiding a sedentary lifestyle, lots of fruits and vegetables, and water instead of soda.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
Three main messages, exercise, eat your vegetables, hydrate.
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?