As part of my new web series, The Role Model In You, here is my most recent interview. The Role Model In You series discusses how individuals were influenced as a child to lead a healthy lifestyle. It covers who influenced these individuals, the changes they made in their life to be healthy, and the message they would like to convey to the youth of today. Our guests include doctors, soccer stars, Super Bowl champions, NBA players, Olympic gold medalist, entrepreneurs, celebrities, and just regular people looking to share their story. I hope you enjoy it!
1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Beth Doane. Age 28. I am a fashion designer.
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
My mom was a huge advocate for nutritious foods.
3. What did they do to inspire you?
We had a vegetable garden that my mom inspired us all to plant each year. We only purchased meat locally from small farms and she had us baking our own bread and meals every week as children so we could learn about the foods we were eating.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
Today its so clear how growing our own food organically and buying locally can have a tremendous impact on our planet and our personal health. Seeing how our food system is designed and the horror of CAFO’s (concentrated animal feeding operations) where the majority of our nations meat and dairy products come from is incredibly detrimental to our health and contributes to vast environmental pollution.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
Absolutely. I don’t have children of my own but I am consistently sharing ways we can become healthier with children through my work and volunteering.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
Staying active is key. So many children lead sedentary lifestyles and this has to change. Spending time in nature is transformational and so empowering for our youth as well.
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?