1. Your message to kids today that you wish you knew back then what you currently know now. Be specific.
As a professional speaker, Author, owner, and educator of the Date Safe Project. I want to send messages to parents and kids on the importance of safe and healthy dating, making the right choices in relationships, covering topics such as sexual assault, intimacy, and making the right choices. I wish that kids knew how to feel comfortable enough with themselves to stand up and speak out on what they want.
2. How did you learn your lesson or what was your lesson? Did you get hurt, did you upset someone, did you get scared?
My lesson learned was an unfortunate one, and one that i’ll never forget. The life changing event not only happened to my sister, but to our entire family. My sister was raped. I have since then dedicated my life and time to devote my knowledge to teens and parents educating them on how to handle situations like these and hopefully prevent these situations from happening in the future with the right education. I was indeed hurt, upset, scared, and a million other emotions including anger. The most prominent emotion was action. I wanted to take action and help others from going through the same feelings myself and my family had.
3. What you would have done differently back then if you could turn back time.
I don’t know if there is anything I could have done differently regarding this incident. As unfortunate as it is, it’s become my journey and passion to help educate others on this life lesson and learn from the past.
4. Do you convey this message to children in your life today?
I convey this message to each and every child or parent I can.
5. Anything else you`d like to add?
I would like to add that this experience has given me the right perspective to be able to speak knowledgeably about these topics. I think it’s great that more men speak out on these topics. Helping people is my passion, and i’m so lucky I can do this everyday.
- Mike Domitrz, Founder of The Date Safe Project