1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Ann Marie Sochia, LPCA, MS, CHT, NLP age 43. I used to manage an LA Weight Loss Center, Inc. and am now a certified and licensed hypnotherapist and mental health counselor.
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
My mother was. She cooked the family meals when I was a young child, most of which were from scratch. My father and neighbors grew fruit and vegetable gardens that helped us eat healthier and appreciate gardening.
3. What did they do to inspire you?
They inspired me to be on healthy living plan. I now have my own vegetable and fruit garden and often cook from scratch. The inspired me to teach others about gardening and eating healthy.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
Because of the struggles I have seen my mother and siblings go through trying to lose weight, I am determined to get my weight back in control and exercise more. To be frank, I am determined to be healthier because I want to live longer. Also, I should note as a counselor I help people struggling with weight control issues and I want to be a good role model for them.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
A few years back I started a gardening project with a group of children and young adults I was counseling. Most of them had never grown anything and were excited to be able to grow something and then eat it. The program included lessons on eating healthy (sampling foods they may have never had such as blueberries, melons, and cucumbers), writing assignments about what they learned, visiting local farmers markets and meeting the farmers, and most of all learning to grow vegetables.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
If you start good eating habits now it will be easier as an adult to stay healthy. If you don’t like something now, try it again in the future, you may in a few years decide you like it. I would also encourage everyone to learn to grow their own produce. It is very rewarding, and fresh picked produce tastes the best and often has more nutritional value than store bought!
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?