1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Betsy Hertenstein, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT).
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
My mother was my inspiration to eat healthy. Every night she prepared a wonderful meal. There was no microwave and no dishwasher in our house in the 1960′s, so dinner was a production for her. I am in awe! For all of my growing up years we had a protein, hand made mashed potatoes and two vegetables. She also put out a plate of fresh vegetables every night before dinner. She knew our little bellies could not always wait for dinner. This is how I learned to love carrots, celery and radishes. in the summer we would take daily trips to the local farm stands to purchase fresh Jersey corn and Jersey tomatoes. Summer dinners were simple and delectable.
Staying fit was just a natural part of play because when I grew up, kids had the run of the neighborhood. We played hard outside running, jumping rope (mom did jump rope!), riding bikes and best of all, we lived without fear. There was no such thing as a “helicopter mom”. I was truly blessed!!
3. What did they do to inspire you?
I think the inspiration comes from her consistency. Eating well was something I could depend on. We also sat together at the table as a family. It was a safe place to be a kid.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
Her lesson changed my life because I took that feeling of safety and well-being into my life as a wife and mother. I am happy that my children also seek out healthy food choices. I also believe that very important messages were instilled in me as a result of our family sitting for healthy meals together every night.Messages of care, nurture, and safety carried me through many a hard time.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
I sure hope so!
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
Turn off the television. Go out into the kitchen, pull up a chair and help mom or dad prepare dinner. Sit with your parents or parent at the table. Talk to them. Be connected.
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?
Yes. Thank you. www.myfamilyguidance.com.