1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do for a living?
David Grotto, RD, LDN, author of The Best Things You Can Eat. I am a nutritionist in private practice, writer and professional speaker.
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
My Grandfather. He owned a health food store in La Mesa California and had a big influence on the eating habits of my family.
3. What did they do to inspire you?
He introduced us to whole grains, granola, yogurt and many plant foods before they were in vogue.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
He inspired me to get into the natural foods business which in turn inspired me to become a dietitian.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
Several years ago, my oldest daughter was sent to her first day of middle school with hummus and whole wheat triangles in her lunch. Students made fun of her lunch and she came home crying. Now those same kids are eating hummus, veggies and whole wheat pita due to my daughters influence and sharing of her food!
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
Don’t give up a single thing that you enjoy – you don’t have to. Rather, add in a few healthy foods each week that you really enjoy. That’s how healthy and sustainable diets are best formed. I always recommend to start by adding fruits to keep up with dietary guidelines. I especially like red fruits like apples, strawberries and tart cherries. In fact, tart cherries rise to the top in my new book as one of the best fruits overall to help with sleep, muscle pain and even bad breath.
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?
My website is www.DavidGrotto.com