1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
Donald Eckard, MD, 56 years old. I am a neuroradiologist and an expert on health and fitness.
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
My mother was my inspiration.
3. What did they do to inspire you?
My mother has always been an inspiration to me in the way that she lives her life. She has been a strict vegetarian since she was 5 years old, and therefore very conscience of what she ate. While I am not a vegetarian, I did learn to be conscious and careful about what I ate. Exercise has always been a part of her life — she likes to take long brisk walks which is something she has done for as long as I can remember. At 85 years of age, my mother remains an inspiration – her lifelong dedication to health has paid off. She is still active, agile, and free from many health problems that plague others of her generation.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
I learned early on that eating and exercise are important parts of life; that you need to monitor what you eat and be sure to try to get some sort of exercise everyday. I remember as a child that my mother made me walk to school even while the other kids were getting rides from their parents. While I hated doing this at the time, I believe it was a valuable lesson. Today, I am a physician and health & fitness expert, hoping to inspire others to take good care of themselves.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
The best way to convey the message is to be a role model in your own life — I try to lead by example. Plus, I encourage my kids to make good choices when it comes to nutrition and exercise.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
Learn to watch what you eat and put into your body and exercise a little bit everyday, even if it is just taking a walk or using the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator.
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?