1. Your name, title, and age? What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
I am a geneticist and author, Jennifer J. Brown, PhD, 52 years old. In my work as a scientist, I study outcomes research in Internet healthcare education and also author science-based, contemporary fiction.
2. Who was the person that inspired you as a child to eat healthy and stay fit? What was their relationship to you?
My maternal grandmother inspired me the most when I was a child. She was so active and healthy that she shaped my ideas about aging very differently than the norm. When she visited us she always went for walks in any kind of weather and looked for natural indigenous plants to sample and add to her diet, which was always high in fiber.
3. What did they do to inspire you?
My grandmother inspired me to stay active and to experiment with a varied, healthy diet of natural foods rich in fiber.
4. How did their lesson change your life?
As a role model, my grandmother changed my life by her example. I exercise daily, and identifying the beneficial, medicinal uses of plants became a main interest in my life when I went on to study biology and genetics.
5. Do you convey their message to kids in your life presently?
I teach my own children the importance of being active and healthy food choices, with a mantra of “a fruit, a grain, a vegetable” at every meal, every day.
6. What would be your main message to children today to lead healthy lifestyles?
Get up and explore your world; to stay active improves your health, and eating new kinds of plants high in fiber improves your diet!
7. Do you have a web site you would like to promote….web address only?